Friday, June 18, 2010

The Buzz on Bee Stings

Dogs are more likely than humans to get stung by bees because they like to play with anything that moves, including bees and their hives. But dogs are just as likely to be allergic to those stings and have bad reactions.

If your dog is stung by a Bee remove the stinger immediately in case your dog is allergic to the poison and goes into anaphylactic shock. Using a credit card, scrape out the part of the stinger you can see or pull the whole stinger out with tweezers, but only if you can reach it. Breaking it will allow more poison into your dog's blood stream.
Assess your dog's physical condition. If he or she is having problems breathing, acts weak, disoriented, or is vomiting or having diarrhea, see a veterinarian immediately. If your dog seems OK, continue to keep an eye on them for at least 24 hours.