Saturday, April 24, 2010

Permethrin Toxicity

The problem comes from a flea control ingredient called permethrin. While permethrin is safe on dogs, even small amounts of the ingredient on the skin of cats can cause deadly problems. Permethrin is common in flea and tick control purchased at grocery stores and big-box stores. Because of its popularity, Hartz flea and tick control products are often involved with feline permethrin toxicity. One of the few high-end flea and tick controls containing this cat poison is K9-Advantix.
Symptoms of permethrin toxicosis will manifest themselves within a few hours to three days following the exposure of your cat to Advantix. Symptoms include tremors, hyperexcitability, depression, loss of coordination, vomiting, seizures, twitching, lack of eating and death.
Symptoms can develop in two to 48 hours. If your cat is exposed to permethrin, handle the situation as an emergency.
If you think your pet may be having a reaction to permethrin contact or transport your pet to your local animal hospital immediately.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Poisonous Plants & Your Pets

Did you know that there are actually over 700 plants that can be poisonous or toxic to your pet?

Dogs and Cats (especially) tend to be highly sensitive to poisonous plants because of their small size and unique metabolism. Some plants that are generally considered to be non-toxic may cause severe symptoms in a pet with an allergy to a plant. Some plants that are non-toxic could be sprayed with poisonous chemicals.
Here is a link listing SOME plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats:
Veterinary follow-up care is critical to prevent secondary affects of the poison. A veterinarian can also monitor the pet for complications. If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, an operating division of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), is the only animal-oriented poison control center in North America. It is a unique emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone assistance. The Center's hotline veterinarians can quickly answer questions about toxic chemicals, dangerous plants, products or substances found in our everyday surroundings that can prove poisonous or fatal to animals.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center1-888-4-ANI-HELP

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Gentle Leader


The Gentle Leader Collar® is a double collar with one loop around the neck, and another around the snout. It looks like and works like a halter used to train a horse.

The leader Dog Loop, fits somewhat loosely over the snout, just tight enough so it cannot be pawed off the end of the nose. The dog is free to pen his mouth for barking, playing, eating, drinking, and chewing. Both loops are adjustable for proper fit.
One of the benefits of the Gentle Leader Collar is that when you make a correction it is with very gentle pull on the lead. This pull automatically turns the dog's head toward you, giving you the dog's attention.

The Gentle Leader Head Collar can be used to teach your dog all of the basic commands: Sit, Stay, Come, Heel and Down. It can also be used to control unwanted habits such as digging, jumping, barking, begging, chewing, stealing and general unruliness at home, on the street, and at the veterinarian's office. Techniques for working on all of these behaviors are in the comprehensive manual included with the Gentle Leader.

Friday, April 2, 2010


These radiographs were taken of Alice a 6 1/2 year old cat and Coda an 11month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Both had ingested sewing needles! Oddly enough cats and dogs are extremely attracted to string/ribbon. They ingest the string and in this case whatever happens to be attached to it! This can be very dangerous and life threatening for your animals.
Luckily both of these pets were able to have exploratory surgery to remove the needles.
We are very happy that they are doing well.