Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Avoid Memorial Day Mishaps

Memorial Day Weekend is in a few days, and while it’s a great time to celebrate with family and friends, we need to be cautious of our pet’s safety.  Fireworks are a Memorial Day tradition, and while most of us enjoy the noise and flashes from a firework display, this can be extremely frightening to dogs.  Here are some tips to keep your dog safe during the holiday weekend.
  • Keep your dog inside at all times.  It is easy to lose track of your pet when you’re entertaining guests.
  • Be cautious of alcoholic beverages.  Make sure all alcohol is kept out of reach and guests are mindful where they place their drinks.
  • Avoid offering table scraps.  Raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate and avocados are common snacks found at barbeques, but these are all toxic to dogs.
  • Make sure your pet is wearing an ID tag or microchip.  If your pet becomes lost during the holiday commotion, they can be easily identified.
  • Stay clear of glow jewelry.  Dogs can chew up and swallow the plastic jewelry, which can cause excessive drooling and gastrointestinal upset.
  • Leave your pet at home when going to a fireworks display.  The combination of loud noises and unfamiliar people can be extremely frightening and traumatizing to your pet. 
Everyone at Veterinary Associates of Cape Cod wishes you a wonderful and safe holiday weekend.  We would like to honor all of the men and women who sacrificed their lives to serve in the U.S. Military and continue to serve to keep our Country safe.