Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Dangers of Xylitol

Many pet owners believe they are aware of what is toxic to dogs.  Chocolate, caffeine and grapes are just a few that dog owners are well aware of.  However, many dog owners are not aware of the danger of xylitol.  Xylitol is an artificial sweetener commonly found in many sugar-free products.  When ingested by dogs, xylitol may cause vomiting, weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, hypoglycemia, liver failure and even death.  Below are a few common products that may contain xylitol:
  • Sugar-free gums
  • Candies
  • Breath mints
  • Children’s chewable vitamins
  • Toothpastes
  • Mouthwashes
  • Baked goods
  • Some peanut and nut butters
Signs of xylitol toxicity appears quickly – usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption.  If you suspect that your dog has ingested xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately.  If you do use products containing xylitol, store them in a safe place that is completely out of reach of your pets.